You can view charts by using Shortcut: Shift + C
To load a chart, click the chart button on the Market Watch toolbar or can use shortcut key or by right clicking on a selected scrip and click on Chart.
Note: Intraday Charts can also be open by double clicking on charts columns for particular scrip.
A chart settings screen will display. Here user will select Periodicity, Interval, and no. of Days/Months for the selected scrip. Click the OK button to load the chart. By default the selected Symbol in MarketWatch tab is populated. For the optimum performance, always use up to 60 days for the optimum performance.
By default a two-dimensional candle chart will display. User may change the candle style to other chart styles listed in the Price Style drop down menu in advanced chart toolbar.
Technical indicators may be added to the chart via the Study menu in advanced chart toolbar. Simply search for a technical indicator in study menu or select any indicator by scrolling through the given list of technical indicators in the Study menu and then click on it or press enter.
If multiple charts are shown on the same screen, a selection border will be drawn around the selected chart. It can see in the image below, a blue selection border has been drawn around the lower chart area, which is currently selected. Selection border drawn around the selected chart can be decided according to the Dark themes. For Dark theme, selection border color is white.
Once a technical indicator has been added to the chart from Study menu, user may edit the indicator’s properties by first left clicking on the indicator or by double clicking on the indicator, then right clicking and selecting “Edit Series”. The indicator property dialog will display, where user can change indicator parameters and colors.
User can drag and drop series from one area of the chart to another. To do so, select series and then drag it to other area (such as on top of the price bars).
User can also resize chart panels. Simply click near the borders and drag the panel either up or down.
To navigate the chart, click the zoom in, zoom out, scroll left and scroll right buttons located on the chart toolbar.
Note: a chart can only be scrolled after user zoomed in to a certain degree.
Chart Menu :
Saving and Loading Charts:
Loading of chart could be accessed from the file menu in Main menu.
Save Chart on Disk
Save Chart saves the chart file on the Disk. (The Charts loaded from disk will be live)
Save Chart as Image
Save Chart as image saves the charts as snapshot.
Save Chart as Template
Chart Template could be saved for later applying on charts to do similar technical study on all the charts.
Note: If internet connection is not stable or disconnecting frequently, candles in saved chart will be missing or there will be some missing data in Charts loaded from disk.
Charts can be saved and loaded back into Alpha Trader using Load Chart from Disk menu in File Menu. Save Chart saves the file on the Disk. Save Chart as image saves the charts as snapshot. Also, Chart Template could be saved for later applying on charts to do similar technical study on all the charts.
- Zoom In
Zoom-in the selected chart.
- Zoom Out
Zoom-out the selected chart.
- Scroll Left
To navigate through the chart, scroll left.
- Scroll Right
To navigate through the chart, scroll right.
- Apply Chart Template
User can apply his/her favorite indicators and colors at once.
Alpha Trader also allows user to apply templates to charts so that user favorite indicators and colors can be applied at once. Simply click the “Apply Template” button on the toolbar or select the template of his/her choice.
Note: the chart must have a volume series in order for this feature to work.
- Remove All Drawings
User can remove all the drawing objects in one click from the selected chart.
Delete All Drawings button can remove all the drawing objects in one click from the selected chart. Trend lines, Gann fans, Error channels and other line studies can be added via the “Chart Tools” menu in the main menu or from the advanced chart toolbar. Drawings can be saved in save chart as template.
Note: Drawings can be applied to the same positions (or data points) where the drawings were drawn, in case data points are not found, drawings may not be drawn.
- Chart Colors
Chart Color allows user to choose color for:
Gradient Top Color
Gradient bottom Color
- Export Chart to Excel
All values on a chart may be exported to Excel. Simply click a chart to select it then click the Export Chart to Excel in Chart menu.
- Right Click Menu in chart
User can also add buy, sell, exit symbols, text objects, and other objects via the “Chart Tools” menu or from the advanced chart toolbar. These objects may be placed anywhere on the chart and may be repositioned or removed by a left click.
Important Features in Charts :
- Day Separator: User can use this feature on charts by selecting Day Separator in right click menu in charts. This feature will separate all the candles day wise from starting of the trading day to the end of the day. This feature is available for Candle and Bar charts only.
- Pivot Points: User can use this feature on charts by selecting Pivot Points in right click menu in charts. Pivot Point is a price level that is used by traders as a possible indicator of market movement. A Pivot Point is calculated as an average of significant prices (high, low and close) from the performance of a market in the prior trading period.
- Data Box: User can use this feature on charts by selecting Data Box in right click menu in charts. This box will show OHLCV values by moving the mouse over all the candles and values of Indicators added on charts. Data Box makes it easy for user to see the OHLCV and indicators values.
- Cross Hair: User can use this feature on charts by selecting Cross Hair in right click menu in charts. While the cross hair mode is in use, traders can move the cross hair over any price bar, or any part of a price bar, and the corresponding time and price values will be readily identifiable. Cross hair mode makes it easy to find a price bar's high or low, and the time and day that the bar printed.
- Home key: User can use Home key from keyboard to see first 100 candles of the chart opened.
End Key: User can use End key from keyboard to see latest 100 candles of the chart opened.